Friday, November 16, 2007

Pratt Visit

I have just returned from my first visit to Pratt...what a beautiful building for a library. I grew up using a library that was built in the 1880s. It had a spirling marble staircase, 3 floors, amazing marble statues...and a fabulous staff.

Pratt has the same feel. The staff was friendly, personable and they seemed to really enjoy their job. Well, most of them. Unfortunately, the person leading the morning tour was not exactly who I would have chosen to speak to a larger group for 2 hours. Areas I would have loved to spend more time talking about; Maryland Collection, African American Room, Specials...she glossed over or cut short, and areas of little interest she spent an inordinate amount of time discussing. And it wouldn't have been too horrible, but she didn't discuss the collections...sometimes she spent 15 minutes discussing the merits of the SAM software for computer reservations. Or the fact that the African American Collection had cushioned seats and carpeting while in the Business collection they only had wooden stools and hard floors that carried noise. The idea behind the tour is to inspire us...I was, just not by my guide. I spoke with some co-workers who took the later tour and they said their guide was wonderful.

I am envious of the materials and space the library has. I would love to go back and explore on my own. I could live in the children's room! The fish and the night and day rooms are cool! And speaking of the children's department...the Mother Goose presenter was fantastic! She kept our attention and taught us at the same time. I think my library does a great job with storytimes, but it is always helpful to have extra ideas in the back of your mind.

No comments:

Where in the world are you?

My World Visitor Profile Map